Friday, November 18, 2011

We're Newlywed and DEBT FREE

It's Debt Free Friday so I'm proud to announce as of October 26th The Shackley's are officially DEBT FREE! I'm not telling ya'll this to get a pat on the back.  I really hope to be an inspiration to others.  The goal of being debt free is obtainable.  It's not impossible.  Our culture has told us over and over again that being in debt is normal.  We don't want to be normal.

Dean and I have talked and if there were only 3 things that we could pass on to others and someday leave behind as our legacy it would be the following.  The first, living a Godly lifestyle that shows others we LOVE JESUS!!!  We want to use our feet to follow in Gods footsteps and use our mouth to speak the words of God.  He made us all so differently and I tell you one thing: God made NO mistakes in making you!  The second thing is, having a debt free standard of living.  I want to pay cash for all my wants and needs.  Now, I understand buying a house might be slightly difficult to do only paying cash, but our goal is to put down a large percentage.  And thirdly, we want our life to be as healthy as possible.  We've been working out together - getting up at 3:30am to start our workout by 4am so Dean can get to work by 7am.  Dedicated - I know! ;)

Dave Ramsey was by far our inspiration for this debt free way of life.  He is a man of God and one of the world's greatest biblical financial teachers.  He was introduced to us a little over year ago at our church.  From that point Dean and I decided that how we wanted to live.  So one by one we worked at getting out of debt.

Here is the order in which it happened for us:
1. Paid my school loans off in 1 year of graduating college
2. Dean paid his off in 6 months - overachiever! haha
3. Paid my DELL laptop computer off
4. Paid my bedroom furniture off
5. Dean paid his Truck off
6. Paid for our wedding in CASH
WE GOT HITCHED!!!!
7. Paid my car off in the first few months of being married! - our last and final debt!

Yes, we will continue to live in our apartment and save for a down payment on our first home together!


Check out Dave's 7 Baby Steps in getting out of debt HERE.  To watch a video - to see how Dave works check out it out HERE.  We are discussing Life. Money. Hope. this month at our church.

"The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender." - Proverbs 22:7

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."  - Matthew 6:24

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through Dave Ramsey's Facebook Page. Congratulations on your huge accomplishment! My husband and I became debt-free 8 months after getting married in 2009 and it feels great! Best of luck in all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete