Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Seasons of Marriage

Marriage--- My parents divorced when I was middle school age.  And that left a scar deep within me that I cannot explain except for the scar has turned into a passion for marriage that I believe God has given me.  It's the anguish that happened in my life that has turned into joy.  Marriage is not something that I expect to ever master or be an expert on, but something that I want to keep learning.  I long to have a lasting relationship with Dean and I believe it begins with God.  God being my #1 priority and Dean being my #2. 

Our church just finished up a series called - I Still Do - which impacted me greatly.  You can watch the entire series on the Indian Creek website.  I unfortunately had to miss the last sermon due to work, but was able to recently catch up. It talked about the different seasons of marriage and how each are very different - neither good nor bad - just different.  I encourage you to watch the sermon HERE.

 Seasons of Marriage
Marriage - 2 years: Young Love (where 2 become 1)
3-10 years of marriage: Realistic Love (Ideal becomes more real)
11-25 years of marriage: Comfortable Love (re-form individual identity)
26-35 years of marriage: Renewing Love (re-choose each other)
36 years and more of marriage: Transcendent Love (We really want to invest in each other)
*keep in mind some couples go thru these stages faster than others

One thing I'm going to steal from Pastor Gary is his prayer he prays for his wife, Belinda.  It's something Dr. Gary Chapman talked about in his marriage conference - praying for your spouse and with your spouse. 

The prayer that I'm going to start saying daily (Thanks to Pastor Gary):

Lord,
I want to see Dean like You see him.
I want to see him through Your eyes.
I want to love him like You love him.
I want to love him with Your love.
I want to feel the love You have for him.
Lord, I allow You, God, to use me as a vehicle of Your love.
Help me know when to speak, when to listen, when to coach, when to contend, when to help and when to receive. 
Amen

Such a powerful message.  I just had to share it.  I pray my marriage can stay strong through the roller-coaster ups and downs of life.  


I love you Dean Shackley.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog through Kelly's link up! Beautiful prayer for your marriage...I'm going to have to write that down for myself! And I love that antique window collage you posted about!! Nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete